Friday, October 23, 2009

Cormac McCarthy's The Road


I have just finished The Road, and I am at the moment attempting to process everything and decide if I really love the book or just impressed by it.

In a post-apocalyptic America, a father and son attempt to travel on foot over the Appalachian mountains (or what I assumed to be Appalachia) to the coast. While traveling, they encounter mostly ashes, dead trees and corpses and attempt hide from bandits, strangers, and murderers. All they have is what they can carry or push around in a shopping cart, basically canned food, blankets, and little else. The coast offers hope. And, while they travel, they do not truly know what they will find once they reach their destination, but they rely upon one another and travel forward.

I thought the novel was well written, though, at times, I have to admit I got bogged down in McCarthy's writing style and allowed my mind to wonder. The book is depressing and heartbreaking, but one has to admire the love that the father possesses for his son. And, while some may say that the father and son travel in a hopeless world, I believe that the father has a small spark of hope left in him and he passes that spark to his son. The father is not weak - he believes in something still. I do not think the world rights itself in the end, but I believe those left in it learn to adjust and survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment