Friday, October 23, 2009

Book Three in 101 Fantasy Reading Challenge


Book: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Press

Much like The Hunger Games, I read Catching Fire a couple weeks after its release and reread it for this challenge. On some message boards that I visit, several have commented on the pace of this book - less time spent in the Games and too much time spent on the development of the love triangle. But, actually, I loved the pacing of this book. In The Hunger Games readers were introduced to the violence of the Games and the overbearing rule of the Capitol. In Catching Fire, Collins spends more time cultivating the fear and rising rebellion that resides outside of the Games in the districts. The Games portion of the book is really well written. I enjoyed the motif of time and clocks that Collins employed throughout this section.

SPOILERS AHEAD




And, even though I enjoyed the book, certain plot points were very plain to see coming. I instantly knew that Plutarch Heavensbee, Finnick, and Johanna were trying to save Katniss and join the rebellion against the Capitol; however, I did not expect Peeta and Johanna to land in the hands of the Capitol and that District 12 is no more.

Actors I could see playing the new roles:

Plutarch Heavensbee: Michael Caine
Finnick: Charlie Hunnam
Johanna: Larisa Oleynik
Wiress: Tamara Taylor
Beetee: combination of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti

No comments:

Post a Comment