Title: The Good Thief
Author: Hannah Tinti
Publisher: Dial Press
Copyright: 2008
While rushing through Barnes and Noble attempting to spend my gift card on books I actually wanted to read, I turned around and faced a shelf of books. My eyes, it seemed by fate, came to rest on Tinti's The Good Thief. I had heard a good review of the book on the Books on the Nightstand podcast and eagerly picked up the book and dropped it in my rather full basket of books. I had no idea what awaited within the pages of the little green book.
This is the story of Ren, an orphan missing a hand, who desperately wants a family. One day a young man arrives at Saint Anthony's and adopts him. The man spins a tale and convinces everyone that Ren is actually his long lost brother. The man is a thief; throughout the story, readers join Benjamin Nab, the thief, Ren, and Tom, Benji's friend and fellow thief, as they spin tales, swindle money, and dig up corpses. Benjamin guides Ren through his new life, but there is something that Benjamin never tells Ren. And, that something has to do with Ren's real family.
The beginning chapters were brutal; I thought I had wasted my money on a tale fashioned in the same way as Oliver Twist. Oh, I should mention I'm not a fan of Dickens. But, the story picks up speed and the plot turns complex and interesting. I'm so glad I kept reading. Stories that take time and are fully developed are little lights of greatness. Tinti is definitely a writer I will keep reading. If you are reading this, please pick up this book!!
No comments:
Post a Comment