Thursday, October 15, 2009

Book One in 101 Fantasy Reading Challenge


Book: Coraline
Author: Neil Gaiman
Publisher: HarperTrophy
ISBN: 9780060575915

I should preface my review by stating that I saw the movie a few weeks before I read the book. I tend to watch movie adaptations before I read the books because I am able to enjoy the movie without comparing it to the book. In this case, I believe the movie adaptation accurately translated the tone and plot of the book. And, because of the good adaptation, the joy of discovering something new in the book was slightly lost for me.

Coraline, a young English girl, has moved into a new flat with her parents during a school holiday. While exploring her new home, Coraline discovers a locked door. Behind the locked door is a world quite like her own, except with a more exciting flat, a talking cat, and other, yet similar in appearance, parents. But, this world is sinister, and Coraline must use her wit and determination to find her way back to her real home.

I enjoyed this novella; as an elementary or middle school student, I would have loved it. Gaiman's plot development, pacing, and tone were well done. Coraline reminded me of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass a bit. There are definitely themes that engage young and older readers alike.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment